Friday, January 4, 2013

Road to Nursing School 2013 and Beyond



I have been reevaluating my school choices one more time...I REALLY wanted to go to Columbia in NYC and do their ETP program. I even started the process and had my reqs all lined up. I was checking out dates for the GRE and well I was ready. biggest issue was I had not saved enough $ and I KNEW I was not prepared to be in the city with Liam by myself once again. Now, after this semester (Physiology + Stats), I will only need Chemistry and an optional Physiology lab and I will be able to again apply for Columbia as well as NYU for 2014 school year.

The biggest issue is that if I stay here at EKU I will be granted an Associate degree in Nursing by Spring 2015. That means it will take me about 20 months to get a 2 yr degree that I already have about half the credits for (b/c I have to take the classes in sequence and can only take the classes Fall/Spring and no Winter or Summer). If I get into NYU or Columbia I will finish actually around the SAME time with a BSN and right on track for my MSN (esp. in Columbia's program). I will of course incur more debt...

I really feel like I need to make this happen. I don't think Columbia is the end all be all of Nursing schools, but I do know that being there can get me to where I want to be...but at what price?

I am still applying to EKU's Nursing program and hope to get in for Fall 2013 and take the basic Nursing one, get CPR certified and be able to finish the Fall strong...I think this will make my application for Columbia even stronger, but I am worried about transferring Nursing schools. It doesn't happen too often and is generally not advised.

Then, there comes the issue of the HRSA scholarship I'm applying for...if I get the scholarship and begin at EKU...what is the likelihood of me being able to transfer the scholarship to Columbia or NYU? Will the apply funds for BSN/MSN? If not, how am I going to navigate this? I NEED that scholarship. *sigh* There is just so much at stake. I know that I want to be an NP by age 30. That is my goal. I'd like to have my DNP by 35ish.

I'm going to have to do a lot of praying and meditating over this matter. I know that if it's meant to be it WILL work out and I will have to adjust my life accordingly. I will meet opposition from my family, have support from my friends, but I know I have to make this happen for me and Liam, by any means necessary.

Weigh in...what would u do in the same situation? If I stay I have family support, cost of living is cheaper, but it will take at least another 2 years longer to finish all the schooling I want to do. If I leave in 2014, I will have the time to save $, I have contact/ties in NYC to help me get on my feet, I will be going to an amazing teaching/research school and have a multitude more of opportunities, but as we all know NYC living is hard.
 I'm willing to hear opinions, criticisms and/or words of encouragement. Sometimes I need another POV to make me look at the situation as a whole and not just from my "my way or the highway" mentality.

2 comments:

  1. You are one of the most determined people I have ever met. You are constantly making the best decisions for your son, which some parents don't know how to do. I think though that you are doing everything right, thinking about things, making plans, etc. My only word of caution is it's great to have a timeline, but leave some room for flexibility. Don't be married to a date or age to accomplish something. Your dreams will change, your goals may be reassessed. Just make the decisions for here now, have a plan, but leave some room for adjustments. My advice is to do your EKU application as the first step, along with the scholarship application. If eventually you decide to transfer then worry about if you can take the scholarship with you. Remember just because you apply to transfer doesn't mean you have to. If all the elements you need aren't there stay where you are. You will get back to NYC if that's what you want when you are ready to and when it's meant to happen. Nursing school is hard, perhaps the support of your family at home will be needed, but you won't know until you get into it. So keep making plans, but just know that you don't have to decide every step at step 1. Good Luck - people who work hard like yourself will accomplish a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the reminder Rachael. Sometimes I get way ahead of myself and just want to hurry everything. A lady at my makeup job put it to me this way in 5 years I'll still be 30 when I told her all I wanted to accomplish by then lol. It made me think, 30 is not a magic number. I feel the push to do things quicker because of Liam, but sometimes I'm afraid I don't stop and ENJOY the right now. I am focusing my efforts on EKU and the scholarship in the immediate future because those are the 2 things coming up in a couple of months. And you are right. I can worry about the rest as it comes. :) I might be feeling differently by the Fall.

      Delete

Leave me your comments, feedback and opinions! That's what I'm here for :)