Monday, September 24, 2012

Being Flexible and Accepting Change

As you guys know, I'm a planner. I have big dreams, big goals and bigger aspirations and I plan them all. I visualize a goal, formulate my plan and execute. I will be the first to admit that I don't always deal the best with life's sudden changes.

You all know about my journey to make it to Nursing school get my BSN and then become a Family Nurse Practitioner. That goal has not changed, but my approach and the way I will reach it has. With most things in my broke, single mom life, it all boils down to money and timing. The 4 schools I had to focus on are not the best choices for my life as it is right now. UC has switched up their reqs a little, leaving me not enough time to complete before their deadline for the Summer 2013 cohort. While I MAY stand a chance to get into NYU and Columbia the $$$$$ I'd have to spend there is a HUGE concern for me. UK and EKU offer the 2nd degree BSN, but not accelerated and also don't include the MSN component which for me is essential.  Finally, in the midst of all these things I cannot forget that I have a little man who still needs and demands my attention. I love the school he is in and want him to be able to stay there at least another school year. I want him in the best environment possible. I have help here in almost all aspects and I really need that help right now, no matter how much I think I don't.

With those things in consideration, I have decided to wait and restart the admissions process this same time next year and will be looking to start programs in 2014 either January, June or at the VERY latest Fall. . In the interim, I'm going to become a CNA [certified nursing assistant] (starting classes in January or February 2013), continue to focus on my weight loss (I'm still 60+ lb away from my final goal), continue modeling/complete some goals with that and work on becoming an ACE certified group and/or personal trainer. I need to save money (a few thousand to be honest), focus on my grades and doing as well as I can in classes for right now. I'm still not 100% sure that I will end up in NYC, but if other things in my life fall into place, it is where I will be and I need $ for us to survive there.

I'm at peace with this decision because it has been eating me up the past few weeks. It will put me finishing school around age 28/29 with both BSN/MSN, but this is what I want/what I'm meant to do and you guys already know, I'm a fighter. Sometimes, I have to slow down and see what is going on around me and not let my tunnel vision cut off the broader focus which is not only myself and my career aspirations, but also and foremost the nurturing, loving, supporting upbringing of my son into an amazing, intelligent and high functioning adult.

Being responsible and growing up sucks sometimes, but we are worth it and I know Liam certainly is!!!

Until again,
Cicely


6 comments:

  1. Honey, there is nothing wrong with putting something off until you get yourself right. I had the goal of going back to grad school two years after graduating with my BA, and I realized that it just wasn't possible at that time. So... I waited another year. I was so hard on myself and angry that I had to wait because I needed more money to take care of myself and my son and I needed more time to apply, etc. But... I ended up going to grad school (the school of my choice, mind you) AND finishing with two master degrees. It's all about timing. Timing is everything. And when it's right, it's right.

    I'm STILL cheering you on, darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I forget you have like 8 degrees and all before 30 ;)! That's certainly motivation for me. You are so right about timing. I'm always in such a hurry. I feel the pressure to bring home more $ so I can do things better and make things better in our lives, but I truly believe that my efforts are being taken into account and next year when the time is right, things will fall into place :).

      Delete
  2. Move to Dallas! We have plenty of nursing schools here! All kidding aside, hang in there girl, stay in prayer and keep marching forward! Kiah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Kiah don't tempt me :). Certainly had to do some intense praying over these past few weeks. Hasn't been easy, but finally feel that peace I've been looking for. This is what's right for me/us right now :). Thanks for the encouragement and as always u betta go on girl with ur bad, fly, funky self lol

      Delete
  3. Good luck to you! I'm rooting for you :) it is not The path you may take but what matters is that you eventually get there I hope you accomplish all your dreams and then some!!!

    Ps- I moved from NYC it's wicked expensive but a great place to experience where are you now? I'm in CT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no clue y I never re: to this lol. Sorry! I'm in Kentucky now aka the middle of nowhere. It's waaaaaay too slow here, so if I can't get back to the NYC area, I have to make my way to the east coast again!

      Delete

Leave me your comments, feedback and opinions! That's what I'm here for :)