Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Power of Words

As someone who uses words to express herself through poetry, blogging and other avenues, I realize how truly powerful words are. Yesterday I went to the wedding of a friend I have known for 20 years! I'm so happy for her happiness and it was an awesome celebration. I really love weddings and always have.

Aside from getting to see the bride (my friend) and her husband and her family, I got to see many old friends I hadn't seen since high school or for a least a couple of years ago. It was great! It's so funny how people are always watching you (whether good or bad). My parents have always told me to be careful how I show myself to be in public and in private. They were really big on the while true colors coming out thing lol.

I met up with some of these old friends and so many of them had positive things to say about me and Liam and our little family and it honestly made me so happy. All the single moms (moms in general) know exactly what I mean when we struggle day to day just to make things happen. Long nights prepping for the next day. Delaying dreams and reworking them to fit not just YOUR life, but OUR life. Putting your child's wants and needs before your own. It's not always easy and to have someone notice that, truly makes you feel proud. It makes me proud to be Liam's mom and happy that so many people think he is blessed to have me for a mom. I feel that HE is the blessing and I'm the one lucky enough to be his mom, however.

It made me realize that I really do need to stop being so hard on myself. As long as I am doing my best, what more can I do? Liam inspires me to continue and be a better person because all of this hard work is for him to have stability and the best opportunities in his life. His "other" parent will not and cannot provide those things to him, but I have a support system here that I don't have anywhere else. I have so many people in my corner, in our corner that I can't afford to fail. It's just not an option.

I saw parents of my former classmates and they just couldn't stop raving about Liam and how handsome he is and I just truly felt the love and the support.
He is just so amazing. I'm in awe of him every day. I don't know what I did to deserve such a handsome, smart, loving, sweet, stubborn and mischievous little man. I just have to say that feeling the love and hearing such kind words yesterday really lifted my spirits. I am overwhelmed that people I care about (even if I haven't seen them in a while) had such wonderful things to say. After all, we know the power of words and how they can build you up or break you down. I have to say, from yesterday I'm in a hot air balloon floating towards the clouds. :)

Until again,
Cicely

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your comments, feedback and opinions! That's what I'm here for :)