Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Nursing School, NYC and Oh Yeah the Rest of My Life

I have been mulling over this idea for the past couple of days and just had to get it down on paper, so to speak. I have been thinking this:

I should finish all my Science, Sociology, Stats classes here at EKU Summer '12, Fall '12 and Spring '13 and then apply to an accelerated BSN in NYC. I will save most of my tax return from next year. Apply for every scholarship known to man and bust it out, grinding my azz off, raising my son and actually LIVING in NYC. 

 Why in the hell would I do that? 
#1 The ASN at EKU is only a 2 yr program and even though I have completed 70% of the degree it would still take me TWO YEARS to finish...eh what?!

#2 IF I can make it work, survive monetarily, actually have some sort of help from Liam's dad (or not), can afford daycare and have my ish legit...I can finish my nursing degree by the time I'm 26 and have a BSN instead. I would then work and try to start my M.S. to become a Nurse Practicioner by age 30. 

#3 Modeling! I am NEVER going to have a career/ make any headway if I can't be where the action/casting are happening. I'm going to be 25 next year! The closer I get to 30, the less my chances for having success truly are. Even though is plus size modeling the age is extended out, I want to try my hardest and put myself in the position for any and all opportunities I can get.

#4 Freelance writing and blogging...the city! That's where its at baby! 

#5 being back with my friends and the city I call home. I love my family and appreciate all the things they have done for me, but NYC is where my heart stays and that's where I want to lay my head down to rest every night. 

#6 I want Liam to be exposed to all the culutral goodness that NYC has to offer. We may not live there forever, but I want him to know and love his birthplace and the place that I love so much and why. 

The school's that are in my radar to apply to: Columbia, NYU, Suny Stony Brook (way far out in LI) and Suny Downstate in Brooklyn. From the first 2 I know the prices will be exorbitant. Stony Brook has what I've heard is a great program but if I was living in Brooklyn that would be an 1.5 hrs driving one way! Downstate makes the most sense in terms of prereqs and monetarily, but their program is competitive and I have heard some horror stories about the administration! *sigh* 

Here's what the timeline would look like:

May- Dec 2012 in class at EKU
Oct 1 - still apply for admission into the ADN program at EKU
January/Feb - begin to submit application for the accelerated programs at the aforementioned schools
January-April - file FAFSA, taxes, apply for EVERY scholarship known to man for nurses of color, students 25+ and any other nursing scholarship I can find. 
January-May 2013 -finish last reqs for the ABSN programs

May/June 2013 - move to NYC!?!?!?
June-September --> start my accelerated BSN?!?!

It is A LOT to undertake. I know this and I'm not scared by it. A little overwhelmed, but if it means making this life happen for me and my son...I'm all about it...

Any thoughts?

Until next time,
Cicely

4 comments:

  1. only word of advice start applying for scholarships in November you have a greater chance of receiving one than applying in the spring time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being responsible for rent, water, electric, gas, daycare, food, health insurance, and clothes (yours and Liam's) is awfully expensive here in KY, much less NYC. I'm just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. u r right as well...we shall see in the coming months what can be done!

      Delete

Leave me your comments, feedback and opinions! That's what I'm here for :)