Friday, November 5, 2010

Future Lawyer: My Law School List Revised

So I swear I am having deja vu writing this post...I think I posted it a week ago and then deleted it? yo no se! Anywho, here is the list of the propsective schools I am applying to. Yes, I won't be applying for another 10 months, but it is necessary for me to know my choices as thoroughly as I can down to programs offered, prices, distance from my family etc. Either way, I am going to be spending big bucks here.These are in no particular order:

Duke - would really like to go here. From what I read, they have great family services, on campus housing, cost of living is cheap and it seems to be a real sense of community. About 6-7 hours from KY.

Vanderbilt - another top choice. 4 hour drive from KY, but has a hefty price tag. Dubbed "Harvard" of the south.

UNC - Chapel Hill - imo opinion a great alternative to Duke

Harvard - A definite REACH, but I figured what the hell?! - would be awesome, but maybe not practical even if i got in! high cost of living and rent and who would watch Poops? i didnt read about on-site daycare facilities

Brooklyn Law - I'm still on the fence about this one. #1 PT or FT? - there is the option to go FT for the second yr and still finish in 3 yrs. This is a T2 school and while in NYC, in a great neighborhood, tuition price tag is around what you would expect but again the daunting cost of living in NYC...if only I could get one of those Summer jobs @ an NYC law firm paying $30,000!
          
NYU Law - wld be nice to get in and they have great dual program options, although I don't really think they have what I would like in a dual program
Fordham - Fordham  is #3 school in NYC, but doesnt fare so well nationally in rankings. It's another T2 close in rankings with the Univ of KY. I do like that the school is located near 59th street. They also have a great English M.A. program which is right up my writer's alley! So a dual degree is what I would do here. As we all know living in nyc is expensive enough without adding $50,000/yr + in law school debt!

UK Law - it's a good enough school, I just don't know if I can stomach KY living again! They don't have a dual M.A. program in what I would want (an MFA that is) - cheapest option

U of Cincinnati - great choice b/c it's close to family, but not in KY AND i can get in state tuition, not sure how i feel about their program overall - 2nd cheapest option

This is going to be a difficult decision no matter what. Let's just pray I get into a variety of schools so that my options are more open. I have to blow the LSAT out of the water! ALL the way! If I get to stay in NYC, it looks like Fordham & NYU are my top choices. Otherwise I would love Duke and Vandy. We shall see where I get in and let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your comments, feedback and opinions! That's what I'm here for :)